We’ve been discussing trite openings and plotlines the last couple of weeks here at BETWEEN THE SHEETS. With so much blather about what is good and what isn’t, how to be inspired, and how to avoid falling between the cracks, I’ved decided to run a contest–an opening line contest. And I have some VERY EXCELLENT PRIZES. Trust me. You want to enter. So let’s do it!
Submit the most creative opening line (of a novel) you can come up with in 160 characters or less, spaces included (like a tweet profile byline or a text). Make it dazzling. Entice me. The top three most intriguing will WIN WIN WIN prizes.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE
1. Writers in need of honest feedback for their opening chapter or scene
2. Writers who could use expert marketing/platform advice, need help promoting an upcoming book release, or need direction from a media coach expert before hitting the conference circuit.
HOW TO SIGN UP
1. Sign up with your name and opening line in the comments section of this post (No more than TWO entries per person). Your opening line doesn’t have to be “real”, it just needs to get me all hot and bothered about the story you’re selling. Show me your creative badassery.
2. Be sure to read others and talk about your favorites.
3. Share the contest on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+, etc. No, I will not be stalking your every move, but would genuinely appreciate your cooperation. (I’ll send you a bucket-load of good karma.)
4. Check back on FEBRUARY 24th for the conclusion of the contest. Winners will be posted.
5. I’d love it if you followed me. Also NOT required. I ain’t that shallow, but let me know if you do and I’ll follow back.
1. Both unpublished and published authors may enter
2. All genres welcome
3. In the event there are fewer than 10 participants, the prize will not include Shari’s consultation, so round up some folks to enter!
Winners will be announced on FEBRUARY 24TH. I will post the top three as well as email those who have won. Good luck and pass it on!!
FIRST PLACE: A critique of your opening chapter up to ten pages or 4,000 words by beta reader extraordinaire (yours truly), AND a FREE thirty minute phone consultation from multi-pubbed author, magazine editor, and media expert SHARI STAUCH of SHARK MARKETING. Shari will assist you with your social media platforms (how to use them, how to increase your traffic, how to reach your target audience), coach you on improvements to your blog/website, or make suggestions on promotional details for your book release. Don’t have a website? Shark Marketing specializes in websites for authors as well as writers conference websites. This is a fan-tab-ulous prize!
SECOND PLACE: A critique of your opening scene or up to 2,000 words AND a book of your choice (below).
THIRD PLACE: A critique of your opening scene up to 1,000 words.
Good luck, everyone!
(The spacing is wonky & driving me nuts, but alas, I can’t fix it. You and I will have to deal with it.)